Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Leaving Nets


 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake—for they were fishermen. And Jesus said to them, ‘Follow me and I will make you fish for people.’ And immediately they left their nets and followed him. As he went a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John, who were in their boat mending the nets. Immediately he called them; and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men, and followed him. Mark 1:16-20

Leaving Nets

The sand that slips between my toes
familiar like close family
and the reflected sun off the water
we know each other so well.

Oh Ocean I have sung the old songs
and you have sung right back to me
we are two parts of the same life
we are breathing out and in together.

I dream of you in restless nights
an in sweet childhood dreams there you were
together we have faced many angry tides
living to laugh again at oranged soaked sunset.

And now  Oh Ocean I am called away
from the salt stained nets of my life
of the paint peeling wooden boat
who fits me perfect like a glove.

All of the soft familiar sunrises
and the intimate night time fires
I must leave you all behind dear friends
I am being called further on.

My love for you will never falter
you made me who I am today
and in my sorrow and dreaming
I will return to you for comfort.

Today I must hurry on despite the desire
to linger at one more sunlit day
so let me go and welcome me back
for our Creator calls me on to new seas.

No comments: