Thursday, January 1, 2015

Mary Letter - Day 32 - Holy Name

When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go now to Bethlehem and see this thing that has taken place, which the Lord has made known to us." So they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the child lying in the manger. When they saw this, they made known what had been told them about this child; and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured all these words and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them. After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.Luke 2:15-21


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

well today was the eighth day after our child's birth. It is hard to believe how much he has grown and how our lives have changed. Today was an important day. I had forgotten since I am a girl and it had never happened to me. But Joseph remembered what we had to do. Because he has relatives all around he could take care of the arrangements quite easily. I would have been happy to postpone it but Joseph wants everything to be done properly in order to honor God. And he's right! So Joseph found and brought a rabbi to our humble dwelling to perform the circumcision. 

Oh Auntie, if I had known what was coming I might have taken him and run away! That poor little thing with a knife so close to his precious skin. All the men were looking on, smiling and nodding. I couldn't watch! And he cried so helplessly that I wanted to scream! Sometimes what Gos requires seems so inhumane. I tried to keep from crying but the tears ran down like rain.

The prayers were said and everyone was delighted. They asked the name of the child. Together we said, "Jesus!" Both of us remembered the holy visitors so long ago who had promised us this child and God's favor. We had to laugh and hold our little one close. So, okay,  I will do everything God wants, but sometimes it is too hard. My little one snipped, bleeding and crying. Ah it was if they were tearing my heart out from my chest. I would have rather they cut me!

I am exhausted from the horror and excitement. Pray that tomorrow is an easier day for us all.

Much love,

Mary

No comments: