Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Words and Wisdom


Jesus said, "But before all this occurs, they will arrest you and persecute you; they will hand you over to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of my name. This will give you an opportunity to testify. So make up your minds not to prepare your defense in advance; for I will give you words and a wisdom that none of your opponents will be able to withstand or contradict." Luke 21:12-15

I was supposed to be on a flight home Monday arriving in Boston today, Tuesday morning. I spent all Monday morning with religious leaders at the Montana legislature. It was a great learning experience and a wonderful chance to meet leaders across Montana. While all that was going on I was going back and forth as flights were getting canceled, mine included. Now I will not get home until Thursday morning. I wanted to stomp my feet and cry, I ached to have my way. And yet the people on the other end had no control of the weather and were doing all they can for me. Words and wisdom came in the form of gratitude. Thanksgiving for people who were kind and helpful despite the highly anxious patrons they were dealing with.

Jesus told his followers that there were major challenges ahead. Now simply a change of plans but life threatening, spirit crushing challenges. And he promised them that words and wisdom would be given them. They did not have to worry about how to prepare, because they we not alone. Jesus would give them words and wisdom. And we too, are not alone in our most crushing challenges. Our needs will be met no matter how overwhelming the circumstances might be.

Today, I ask God to help me remember that many people are facing spirit crushing circumstances. May we be given words of comfort and wisdom to be compassionate to all we encounter today.

No comments: