Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Bread Always

Do not work for the food 
that perishes, but for the
 food that endures for
eternal life, which the
Son of Man will give you.
 For it is on him that God
 the Father has set his
 seal.’ Then they said to 
him, ‘What must we do 
to perform the works of
 God?’ Jesus answered
 them, ‘This is the work
 of God, that you believe 
in him whom he has sent.’ 
So they said to him, ‘What
 sign are you going to 
give us then, so that we
 may see it and believe
you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors 
ate the manna in the 
wilderness; as it is written,
 “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ’ Then Jesus said to 
them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the
 bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true 
bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes
 down from heaven and gives life to the world.’ They said to
 him, ‘Sir, give us this bread always.’
 Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to
 me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will
 never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and
 yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will 
come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive
 away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own 
will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him
 who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given
 me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my
 Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have
 eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.’ John
 6:27-40

We are in Paris for the consecration of the new Bishop of the American
churches in Europe and to bid farewell to our friend Pierre as he 
retires. There is bread everywhere here, and for a price you can
partake of some of the most delicious bread, rolls and sweets
imaginable. This place is a feast for the eyes and the stomach. We
did not miss the fact that there is a huge homeless population,
and despite the abundance there are many who go hungry.

The people who had seen or heard about the miracle of feeding the
5000 plus, wanted more signs and more miracles. Yet Jesus called
them to faith and service, promising that we would be filled by 
believing him and serving all the people around them. We too are 
invited to step out in faith and feed others.

Today, as we begin exploring new vistas, may we have our eyes and
hearts open to the world around us. May God's love fill us so that we
can provide sustenance for our world.

No comments: