Friday, April 19, 2019

Good Friday


Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus answered, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterward.” Peter said to him, “Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.” John 13:36-38 
Today is the most solemn day in the Church calendar. Everything ornamental has been stripped away or covered. There is nothing to distract us from the truth. There is nowhere to hide from the pain. Today is an "us and Jesus alone" kind of day. We look on the cruelty and selfishness of the world, and in each of us. It horrifies us as it is so familiar. The cross is our greed, selfishness and shame writ large. Our betrayals and shirking are completely visible today. We look on the Savior of the world, crucified for all.

Jesus is straightforward with Peter, yet Peter wants to be brave and loyal. As do we all. Yet Peter, like all of us often fall down in our walk of faith and give in to fear. On this Good Friday, we are invited to look on the cross, and remember the betrayals and denials in our lives. We are invited to hear Jesus, who understands our frailties, and know that we are forgiven and set free in one single act of sacrificial love.

May we all take the time today to look on the cross of Jesus. May we see the reality of our failings and know, even in our darkest hours, we are embrace by the sacrificial and eternal love of our Creator.

No comments: