Friday, July 29, 2022

Canterbury Tales 2.0 Day Four 7/30/22


1 The Lord is my shepherd; * 
I shall not be in want.  
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures * 
and leads me beside still waters. 
3 He revives my soul * 
and guides me along right pathways for his Name's sake.  
4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; *
 for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
5 You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; * 
you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over. 
6 Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, * 
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. Psalm 23

Today we spent our second day in retreat in the morning at the cathedral. We had lunch in the shade under ancient trees. I am in a wheelchair since I cannot walk very far. As we sat in the cool of tree, we greeted other bishops and spoke to several. Two bishops from South Sudan approached me and we visited for a time. Then they asked to take my picture. They told me they wanted to show the people back home that a disability does not keep one from serving as clergy or even a bishop. They inquired whether I can still preach and lead as well as confirm, and I said yes. They were so happy to share me with their people. I was so moved by their care and concern. I also realize I have little idea of the challenges they face. May God give me the ears to listen deeply every day.

Magnificent Creator, you see the whole creation
and you smile on all you have nurtured and made
despite our conflicts and constant confusion
you find way to bring us to the right pathways.
We see only a shallow part and think we know all
yet you remind us to be humble and seek you
as you find safe passage and sanctuary for all
and make us your children despite our ignorance.
Help us to be silent as other share their stories
and let us be witness to your transforming love. Amen.

No comments: