Monday, July 18, 2022

Watch and Pray


Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. Then he said to them, “I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me.” And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want.” Then he came to the disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, “So, could you not stay awake with me one hour? Stay awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Again he went away for the second time and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” Again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. Then he came to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand.” 

There are times in my life, not often, when I have had trouble sleeping, mostly from pain or worry. Often then, in the wee hours of the morning, my prayer is never profound but a simple "help me, Lord." The wee hours of the morning strip from us the arrogance and falsehoods we hide in the light of day. In the middle of the night our imperfections cry out to God.  Jesus loved his disciples in their very weakness. And this frail flesh we live in, mine and yours, we are loved completely despite our weaknesses.

Loving God, who know our weakness and failings
you ask us to watch in pray in dangerous times
yet we fall asleep and fail to keep watch in the dark.
You love us all despite our failure and our shame
you embrace our broken spirits and renew us
you suffered for us then and you take on our pain now.
Let us rise to a new day of your hope and healing 
inspired by your sacrificial and all encompassing love. Amen.

No comments: