Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Beloved


 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?’ But Jesus answered him, ‘Let it be so now; for it is proper for us in this way to fulfil all righteousness.’ Then he consented. And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.’ Matthew 3:13-17

Beloved

Did you see me stumbling
and reach out your hand
or was it you that brought me low
shoving me from my solid perch
hanging on for dear life to you?
I trusted you to help me.

Did you not see the relative
the familiar eyes and smile 
the accent that reminded you
of a home long since lost?
Or did you see a stranger?

When God declared from above
when love reached to solid earth
did you not realize that the broken
the lost, confused and lonely
the ones that disturb you
were truly now your community?

Breaking all the earthly rules
the privilege and the country club
this holy declaration sets all free
to be the beloved community here
to be the extended family rising.

You may not see me but here I am
the beloved one name just like you
drenched in the waters and marked
for the blessings of life right here
for the fullness of God's promises now.




No comments: