Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Set Free - Wednesday, November 7th


Now he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And just then there appeared a woman with a spirit that had crippled her for eighteen years. She was bent over and was quite unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, he called her over and said, ‘Woman, you are set free from your ailment.’ When he laid his hands on her, immediately she stood up straight and began praising God. But the leader of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had cured on the sabbath, kept saying to the crowd, ‘There are six days on which work ought to be done; come on those days and be cured, and not on the sabbath day.’ But the Lord answered him and said, ‘You hypocrites! Does not each of you on the sabbath untie his ox or his donkey from the manger, and lead it away to give it water? And ought not this woman, a daughter of Abraham whom Satan bound for eighteen long years, be set free from this bondage on the sabbath day?’ When he said this, all his opponents were put to shame; and the entire crowd was rejoicing at all the wonderful things that he was doing. Luke 13:10-17

Tuesday was my first commute into the office on public transportation. I have been anxious
 about this day since I am a long way from fully recovered from back surgery and
 navigating a bus and subway ride scared me. One of my co-canons took the trip along
with me and help me navigate the ins and outs of the day. I am overwhelmed with the
 newness and my lack of strength and mobility. Yet, I was not alone, and found that with
 some help, I could make it through. There is much rejoicing and gratitude for the help.
 It was liberating. I was set free from the fear that was binding me.

Jesus healed a woman who have suffered for a very long time, and yet the religious leaders
could only harp about his timing, rather than her being set free. We can get so caught up in
the rules and the timing, that we can miss the miracles and blessings right in front of us. We
can choose to be filled with gratitude and rejoicing when we have received healing and
help or we can be bound in chains again by rules of our own making. God invites us to
rejoice in the healing and help whether small or large, in the best moments and in the more
awkward and untimely.

Today, I ask God to help me rejoice in the healing received, no matter the time or place it
might happen. May we all be set free to celebrate the blessings this day brings, knowing we
are set free to love and serve more every day.

No comments: