Friday, March 15, 2019

Brood Under Her Wings

                                              Second Sunday in Lent 3/17/19



Some Pharisees came and said to Jesus, "Get away from here, for Herod wants to
 kill you."  He said to them, "Go and tell that fox for me, 'Listen, I am casting out
 demons and performing  cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish 
my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is 
impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of  Jerusalem.' Jerusalem, Jerusalem, 
the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have
 I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings,
 and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not
 see me until the time comes when you say, 'Blessed is the one who comes in the name
 of the Lord.'" Luke 13:31-35

I can't help but see tears on faces across the world as we watched in horror at the
destruction of so many lives in Christchurch, New Zealand at the hands of a gun
toting terrorist. I have been to Christchurch, have witnessed a loving, welcoming
community and wonder how this could be. My desire is for gathering up the broken,
sharing love, keeping them safe. I imagine our human hearts were designed by a
magnificent creator, who aches to protect us all from our worst selves.

Jesus was in Jerusalem, confronted by religious leaders who were aware of the
dangers he was facing. Despite the warning, the compassionate heart of God shows
through, as he looks on our worst selves which have been all too event in Jerusalem
in his time. He want to gather the vulnerable and keep them safe. We see the heart of
God in that depth of love and sadness rolled up together. We are invited to know
God's love for all the world as our hearts break for our neighbor and relatives.

Today, I ask God to give me the strength to open my heart, even when it is breaking.
May we be known as those who carry God's love for this world, all of it, and love
beyond all our brokenness and tears for the healing of all people. 



Collect
O God, whose glory it is always to have mercy: Be gracious to all who have gone
astray from your ways, and bring them again with penitent hearts and steadfast faith
to embrace and hold fast the unchangeable truth of your Word, Jesus Christ your Son;
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



No comments: