Friday, September 19, 2008

Dark Mornings and Dry Earth






I am in Albuquerque New Mexico with a large group of Native Women. And we are talking about our faith, our ministries, and how we can encourage one another in dark times and in our own personal struggles. I got the news, of the decision of the House of Bishops to depose Bishop Duncan and of the departure of the Episcopal Staff Officer for Native Ministries, Janine Tinsley-Rowe on the same day. I did not attend the House of Bishops meeting since I cannot vote and did not attend Lambeth. Both decisions are signs to me of turbulence and darkness - and all these come on the heels of a scary, scary week on Wall Street. It feels as if we are all tottering on the brink, not even knowing why things are so insecure. I just know that my heart is aching. And I know that many people are rattled and confused.

So for today, I want us all to hear these words. "Come unto me, all that travail and are heavy laden, and I will refresh you." Those comfortable, comforting words. God knows our every weakness and understands our burdens and failures. God know the insecurity in the world, in the church and in our hearts. The only thing I know to do is to go to the source of love and life. When troubled times engulf us, when the darkness will not clear, when flood waters will not recede, and when there is no money left to pay the rent, we can still lay our burdens on the Lord. We are not alone today or ever. We are intimately related to God in Christ and to one another. Our burden and our loss is carried by others. May today be a day when we can go to Creator in prayer and ask God to carry us through these uncertain times. And may we have courage to rush to the aide of those who are breaking under their burden. In our action for others is the Creator's love made real. In dangerous times, we need Jesus. In all times, we need Jesus. May we share one anothers' burdens in times such as these.

No comments: