Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Easy Pickings




In the last few days, several large financial institutions have imploded and the whole country has held its breath as the stock market tumbled. By this morning, there seem to be some temporary fixes for these large monster corporations who make their gain with other people's money, and they have again been brought back from the financial brink. Last year, the CEO's of these companies not only drew huge salaries, but they took bonuses in the millions that would have provided food and housing for many, many poor and struggling families. Who brings those little ones back from the brink? Who rescues the innocents and the abused while the few collect houses they can't find?

"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thorn bushes, or grapes from briers. The good person brings good things out of the good stored up in their heart, and the evil one brings evil things out of the evil stored up in the heart. For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." Luke 6:43-45

Today, I am reminded of how easy it is for us to one minute skirt disaster and survive, but immediately fail to reach out to those who have not been as fortunate. No one asked the heads of these big corporations to do community service, or offer their extra, unoccupied homes up for the care of others. We might breath a sigh of relief, but for so many, there is no relief in sight. Today, I want God's goodness in my heart so that I might be able to bear good fruit. I can't do that alone, but I want to be strong and fruitful so that others might survive and thrive. And I want to change the course of selfishness and greed in my corner of the world. I want to help offer others hope and abundance with God's help. And I want to learn the lessons of these times, and take care of how I use other people's trust, love and gifts. I ask God to make me a tree bearing God's love and abundance in a time of scarcity and panic. God help us all to rescue those today who really need our help.

No comments: