Friday, September 19, 2008

Generations of Women




These past two days I have the privilege of spending time with a large group of Native American Women. We have listened as people have shared their stories. We have laughed and cried and sang together. We have used our hands to make mosaics, pins, boxes, quilts and crafts that express our spirituality and our connection with the Creator and with one another. We have used our voices to encourage others to never give up, and we have raised our voices in prayer for the healing and restoration of dear loved ones. There was never a place that I have felt so welcomed in so long. Not because I am a bishop, but because I am welcomed by them. We native women are a curious bunch, and our nature and traditions have made us welcome strangers and feed those passing our way. In the sharing of our lives, meals, prayer and laughter, I have felt the strong presence of our Creator God right here in our midst, encircling up with strong and tender arms. I hate to have this time end.

A curious thing has happened to me in the process. People I came to minister to are ministering to me. By their presence and loving welcome, my heart and soul are being transformed. For what and into what, I do not yet know. I just know that God is on the move in my life and I need to pay attention. The other curious thing that has happened is an aching desperate need for my daughters. I'm not homesick, I am used to traveling. But I so want to share with them, want to introduce them to women of all ages who are willing to love and grow despite the challenges and rejections they have faced. I want to share with them, my sweet girls, the love and nurture I have received from other Indian women. I want to share this kind of deep, wonderful, tender faithful encouragement with them. Not because they need it, but because we all need it and I am so proud of each of them and want my Indian sisters to be a support system for them also.

So today, I want to thank God, for these Native sisters. We are so different and so alike. God is moving in the midst of this gathering and I want to rejoice that I got the opportunity to be encouraged in their midst. And I want to remember all of those people who have encouraged me when the road got tough. I hope you will join me in gratitude for those people - family, friends, mentors and strangers - who have acted as a firm, gentle net of support and faith when we have gotten weary and worn down. I pray that we can remember that all of us are related through Christ in God. We are all sisters and brothers in this family, and that there is always someone who needs to be carried every day. Someone needs to be lifted up and reassured every moment. May we have the courage to seek out our family where ever we are.

No comments: