Monday, September 29, 2008

New Light on the Water



Late Saturday evening I heard that a new bishop had been elected for Southern Virginia. I have kept my distance, as is professionally right, but my heart has ached and my prayers have been unceasing for a positive resolution for a people I so dearly love. I was thrilled to be elected their Suffragan in 2001 and rejoiced at serving in their midst. The crisis and the distance have not dampened my care for them. So, with great joy and hope I read that Holly Hollerith was elected Bishop to the serve the people of the land which first welcomed our Church to these shores. New light on waters that have been troubled and stormy, and yet God's love and light have prevailed to usher in a new day.

Sometimes situations can seem hopeless, particularly after all the professional and personal solutions tried have brought no healing and no change. Experience has shown that the more we try to make something better, the worse it can seem to get. And yet, nothing is impossible with prayer. For years, while I was serving in Southern Virginia, I prayed for the people, for all of us, for healing and resolution. Since I moved to New Jersey I have continued in those prayers. Sometimes I felt sad that I could not have done more. All's I knew to do was to pray. And God, in God's time, helped faithful people, step by step, to see new light and new possibilities. To see themselves as loved and precious to God. And my heart is glad to overflowing.

May I have the strength today to commit the impossible and hopeless to prayer. May I have the faith to give up trying with all my professional methods and rely on Jesus. "He took our infirmities and bore our diseases." (Matthew 8:17) May I see the impossible as an invitation to a deeper relationship with the Divine. May the admission of my complete dependence on God usher in a new depth of faith and trust. May the loving Creator give us glimpses of new light on ancient stormy waters. And may the people of Southern Virginia and their new bishop be blessed and joyous in their life together.

No comments: