Sunday, March 1, 2009

Leftovers and Hand-me-downs


"Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now." John 2:10

When I was newly married, my friend Deb and I used to shop at a wonderful thrift store run by Amvets. The store was an old grocery store and the rows of racks seemed endless. The clothing was organized by type (skirts all together) and then by color -not by size but by color. We always found treasures there for next to nothing. We both kept each other advised of great deals and good thrifts stores we had found. Although neither of us was poor, we both were trying to stretch very limited budgets. We were pleased to find hand-me-downs and leftovers which would help reduce clothing and other budgets.

Jesus was under pressure from his mother to make miracles happen. Probably not the first child whose mother saw more in the child, than the child was yet to understand. Changing water into wine at a wedding, he honored the host by making not only more wine, but fine, expensive wine. He didn't make leftover, hand-me-down wine for the drunk guests. He gave his very best and honored the family.

Today, I want to offer God and others my best. Not my left-overs or hand-me-downs but my very best despite my feeling that it is not time, or that I don't have it in me. At his first miracle, Jesus gave the host family the very best. I want to live that kind of generous hospitality, where the best is given no matter the condition or behavior of the receiver. God have given abundantly to me and I want to be generous, giving my best, offering all I have in thanksgiving to God for love unbounded.

No comments: