Thursday, September 3, 2009

An Accidental Encounter


And they compelled a passerby, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry his cross. Mark 15:21.

An Accidental Encounter

The air was charged soldiers boots
beat a heavy rhythm in the dust
the road from Jerusalem to Calvary
the hill of death bloody punishment
for treason and theft.

The dust was thick and gray voices
mocking cheering on the executioner
a bent man a crown of thorns burdens
too great carrying the world on his shoulder.

The crowd impossible pushing
begging for a glimpse of failure
they spit and curse and I am running
away from the oncoming crowd face
set towards Jerusalem to pray.

The crowned man falls groaning I stop
to look and gaze upon the face of love
the sorrow of denial, rejection and betrayal
he has forgiven already he carries their hearts.

I stand stunned revolted by humanity drawn
to the love that none can hide
tears well up from a deep ache within me
and the face of God turns and sees me.

Soldiers see me, laugh at my tender heart
displayed in this strong solid mass of a man
hands grabs me cajole me push and send me
to the ground falling to the dusty road.

He bellows in agony as they knock him down pulling
his burden a rough wooden cross for the end of him
thrusting it on my shoulders I fall forward
they laugh and pull us both to standing.

Today I walked to the hill with him carrying
my failure and sin weeping for the one
who gladly carries my life and redeems me
by dying by living again.

No comments: