Friday, September 18, 2009

Light of the World


“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:14-16

This morning early I set out to go to physical therapy. The doctor I have been seeing for pain management for the accident last summer has now decided that I need a stronger core. I don't disagree, I am just tired and rarely a morning person. The physical therapists are all so young and cheerful and so early in the morning. I know in my mind this will be a great help but my body is reluctant. It has been prodded and poked way too much and just wants a little rest. But the stretching and exercise is really good for me, really necessary and yet my sleepy being resists it entirely.

I know that Jesus has said that you and I are the light of the world. And we are to shine our light and God's light shining through us so that all the world can see. I believe it. But some days it is a hard thing to do. Some days I feel like a spent candle - all my wax has dripped all over the floor and picked up a pile of dog hair. Some days, I want to shine and can barely flutter to life. Despite out humanity and our reluctance, God has chosen us to be the light of the world. Despite all the reasons why you and I might be a bad choice, God has chosen us anyway. With soft cores and reluctant spirits - God chooses us to be the light of the world.

Today, I ask for God's strength for all of us. As we endeavor to do good works, or just get through the day, God has chosen us vessels for light and love in this world. An impossible task. And yet, God has promised to provide us with the wattage when we are dim and spent, when we are dull and tone-less. May we rejoice in a God who supplies all of our needs, who supplies the power when ours is gone, and who promises to be with us in every moment, night and day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this entry, I too have been going to Physical Therapy (otherwise known as "Pain and Torture") and know how difficult it is to get my body to join the program. I appreciate the comments about God choosing us, even though we don't feel ready, or worthy, or whatever. Thanks again, and I love your photos!
M.B.