Thursday, September 10, 2009

Relying on Dreams


Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.” And he rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed to Egypt and remained there until the death of Herod. Matthew 2:13-15

In this season of buckling down, returning to a serious schedule and the like, I am reminded how important dreams are. Years ago, I had applied for a job for the summer that I desperately wanted. It seems forever ago, that first year of college. I dreamed I had received a letter and got the job. I went around all day telling people about my summer job and how happy I was. Late afternoon I realized that it had all been a dream. My hopes were dashed and I felt like a fool. A few days later I received the letter that did indeed offer me the job. I would meet my husband shortly after that and the world as I knew it would change its course there after.

Joseph relied on his dreams for the safety of his child. Dreams give us voice to the hopes and fears we sometimes bury. And God can often reassure or prod us in the early morning dream time. Dreams can also help us find our way and know what we offer to the world.

I invite us all to live richly into our dreams in the coming days. God is in the midst of us, in these days of changing schedules, giving us inspiration and direction anew. May God bless us all with dreams that offer hope and possibility. Our world needs dreamers today.

No comments: