Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tell The Coming Generation


We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might,and the wonders that he has done.

As we prepare to head off tomorrow for our daughter Ariel's wedding, I realize how unprepared I feel.It feels more like being a child again without good ideas or adult supervision. I have done hundreds of weddings, both as a priest and bishop in all sorts of settings and situations. But I have never been the mother of the bride. I knew one role very clearly, but this is all new, like turning a gem and seeing a whole new range of colors.

I am reminded that many of us, no matter how grown and competent we are, often feel tremendous anxiety and awkwardness when we have to do something we usually don't do. If we have to ask for help, it can feel even more awkward, over even a little like failure. So today, I take courage through the psalms. The constant reminders of God's faithfulness and constancy in the midst of our trembling and inadequacies.

God is completely faithful at all times, loving us through the biggest challenges we face. God doesn't walk away when we feel inadequate. May we all take courage today knowing that the God who was with our ancestors for generations is walking with us, faithful and loving as ever.

No comments: