Saturday, September 12, 2009

Who Am I?


He asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Messiah." And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him. Mark 8:29-30

I remember the first week of school as a time to find or renew one's identity. Teachers would say things like, "Oh, you are Peggy's sister" or " another Theobald kid". I would cringe at so easily being placed in their minds. On the other hand, I was always trying to change or evolve my identity, to be cooler or more artistic and the like. Being unique and individual was so important. As an adult, I remember the first time some teacher said, "Oh, you're Emily's mommy!" It was a first week of school for her and the teacher was just putting two and two together. I felt I might have lost my identity as a person. I was somebody's mom.

Jesus asks his disciples and us, "Who do you say that I am?" He asks, not out of a personal need to be identified, but to understand their confusion and need. Jesus is looking to be in relationship with us in a complete and personal way, not through others, and not as simply one to rush prayers to in a panic. Relationships are important to God, and we are asked today whether we understand the identity of love and transformation that are found in relationship with Jesus, the one who completely honors our unique personalities. God made us all unique and special, and Jesus Christ honors and upholds us as we walk with him each day.

May we all rejoice this day that love has found us. May we walk with Christ, knowing that we are loved completely just as we are - whether we are cool and athletic,nervous and sensitive, or somewhere in between. We are loved even if we don't fit in anywhere. We fit always in the loving arms of a loving savior.

No comments: