Friday, January 3, 2014

Do Not Be Afraid

When evening came, his disciples went down to the sea, got into a boat, and started across the sea to Capernaum. It was now dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The sea became rough because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they were frightened. But he said to them, “It is I; do not be afraid.” Then they were glad to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going. John 6:16-21

From Joseph's Diary

A strange thing happened last night. The baby cried and Mary didn't instantly wake up to feed him. I went to his make-shift cradle and lifted him into my arms. He immediately started to quiet, then smile and reach his little hands to me. Before this I have been so careful and a bit frightened of handing him. In my sleepy state it seemed so natural and comfortable. I walked him around, rocking him in my arms, singing all the old songs my mother sang to me. It was so amazing. Mary slept right through and he seemed delighted to be in my arms.

I cannot wait to teach my little boy all the things I know. I know he isn't mine to keep, but I am no longer afraid to draw close to him and share myself. I was glad my brothers were not around to see me with Jesus. They would have teased me, thinking I was being too womanly. But I really don't care. Love has come to stay and nothing can separate us now. I will make it my mission to raise a strong lad, who is also sweet and compassionate. It seems to be much easier to imagine than it was just a few days ago. He is here and making the fear disappear!

No comments: