Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Way

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. John 14:6-14


Back home again and waking up to a snowfall. Traveling always heightens my gratitude for home and family, the amazingly good gifts that God has blessed us with. It also reminds me how so much of life is a journey, rather than a destination or a place. Home is where love abides. And love can and does abide on the journey, the dark nights, the lonely places, as well as in the ancestral homeland. There is love, light and truth on the way, and we are never to worry that we will be abandoned wherever we find ourselves.

Jesus is explaining to the disciples his relationship to them and to the world. He is food and life giving water, the way the truth and the life. He is willing and able to be with us and for us in every situation and in every need. We are not abandoned because we have failures and mistakes. Love doesn't run out and neither does God's love for us in Jesus Christ. We are offered one in whom we can put out complete trust, and who is all that we need and more.

Today I ask God to help me seek Christ in everything. May our first thoughts and actions be those of love and faithfulness. May we put aside wrangling and plotting and take up praying today.

No comments: