Thursday, January 2, 2014

Lacking Nothing

I will bless the Lord at all times;

his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

My soul makes its boast in the Lord;

let the humble hear and be glad.

Oh, magnify the Lord with me,

and let us exalt his name together!

I sought the Lord, and he answered me

and delivered me from all my fears.

Those who look to him are radiant,

and their faces shall never be ashamed.

This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him

and saved him out of all his troubles.

The angel of the Lord encamps

around those who fear him, and delivers them.

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!

Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,

for those who fear him have no lack!

The young lions suffer want and hunger;

but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Psalm 34:1-10


From Joseph's Dairy

The boy grows so much every day! I woke in the night to his soft crying and brought him to his mother. She is so tired these days but so cheerful. As he laid in her arms nursing, I saw how he had grown in just a few days of life. our simple nurturing is enough to make him grow strong. I don't know why I worry so, but it seems almost impossible that we can really care for this precious gift of God. And yet, every moment he grows, and is more alert and responsive by the hour. I cannot keep my eyes off of him. We will soon have to take him to the temple for a blessing. He seems to like the light, the air and the noise of the city. He seems to love the whole world.

For all the doubts and fears I have had, there have always been these moments of great clarity. We had visitors yesterday, they had come when they heard of the baby in the stable. They sang us songs of God's promises, these faithful elders. Although they were strangers to us, they knew my relatives, and encouraged us in many ways. They sang the old songs and fed us food from home! I don't know why I ever doubted, but that visit really secured my faith again. Our little boy was passed around and prayers were said. He was as good as gold and the elders left us some extra food so we won't have to shop for the next few days. There was much laughter too, as they told us old stories about our families and friends.

How good it is to trust God and to have others confirm and reaffirm that we are on the right path. There will always be days of weakness but thanks to the elders and their visit, the old songs will always bring me back. The old songs will always help me to go forward again!

No comments: