Thursday, January 9, 2014

Light of the World

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” So the Pharisees said to him, “You are bearing witness about yourself; your testimony is not true.” Jesus answered, “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” John:12-19

Whenever folks talk about light and darkness I always think about a lighthouse. Actually, one lighthouse in particular, in the town where my Mother resides, and that place which has my heart. That beacon is always shining, day and night, but it is most needed and noted at night. Many times I have found my way home by it's light. Many times I find myself waking up at home to it's light in my window over the bed. It is constant and faithful, ever present, whether I need it or not. Lighting the coastline in fog and storm, signaling farewells as the ferries pull away.

Jesus uses images we can all relate to in order to explain our relationship to the Creator. There is a constancy and faithfulness of love that is not deterred by our ignorance or our foolishness. The love of God is boundless and seeking, lighting our way when we desperately need it and beckoning us homeward bound. The light reminds us that God is faithful no matter how lost we get, no matter how far away we wander, and no matter how thick our fog moves in.

Today I ask God to help me keep my eyes on the light of the world. May we always be seeking the path that leads us home, into the arms of our loving Creator. May we never fear that love runs out, for God has promised to shine for us throughout eternity so that we might be drawn always closer to the heart of God.

1 comment:

mgdoolin said...

Yes, the love doesn't run out.959862