Saturday, September 14, 2019

More Joy in Heaven


September 15th, Year C, Proper 19

All the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to Jesus. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, "This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them."

So he told them this parable: "Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, `Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.' Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

"Or what woman having ten silver coins, if she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, `Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.' Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." Luke 15:1-10

When I am waiting in doctor's offices, on the bus or the T, or in lines at the grocery store, I often look at the faces around me and wonder why they look so very stressed, anxious and angry. Oh, we all have plenty to be worried about and I have my share. I worry most about not being good enough, forgetting what really needs to be done or losing people and things that are precious to me. When I look at others, I am reminded just how hard it is to be human, and how none of us really know how much others are suffering.

Jesus is criticized for eating with hurting and outcast folks. The losers, they might be call in this age. He responds to the criticism of the religious elite but calling these losers precious, and the source of joy in heaven. The losers, the outcasts are just the people God is seeking night and day. We are being sought as well. The explosion of joy in heaven comes not from judgment and ridicule but from turning and compassion. Joy comes from love rekindled, hope reignited and the lost found.

Today I ask God to help me recognize everyone as sought by God. May we participate in heaven's joy by reaching out to the losers, the outcast, the aliens, the alienated and the lost.



Collect 
O God, because without you we are not able to please you, mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit may in all things direct and rule our hearts; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: