Monday, September 23, 2019

On the Road by the Sea - for 9/24

Now when Jesus heard that John had been arrested, he withdrew to Galilee. He left Nazareth and made his home in Capernaum by the lake, in the territory of Zebulun and Naphtali, so that what had been spoken through the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled:
‘Land of Zebulun, land of Naphtali,
   on the road by the sea, across the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles—
the people who sat in darkness
   have seen a great light,
and for those who sat in the region and shadow of death
   light has dawned.’
From that time Jesus began to proclaim, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Matthew 4:12-17


I have always been most at home by the water. Somehow, it helps define and refine me. The ocean grounds me, and in hard times, I always see out the sea. The sea somehow settles my heart and revives my sagging spirit. When I can succumb the sound of crashing waves, the saltiness of the water, the cry of the gulls, then I am put right back together again, centered and calmed.

Jesus was hit with some frightening news. John had been arrested, signaling the rise of violence and oppression. Their words of hope and faith were challenging the status quo, so the authorities responded with strict control. Jesus went and made his home by the sea. I like to think he went to center himself, settling by a place that gave him strength to go on. We are invited by God, in these times, to also seek out the places and people who will help center and calm us for the days ahead. God needs us to be less reactive and more restoring, less fearful and more grounded.

Today I ask God to give me the wisdom to seek out the ground of my being, so that I might be strength for others. May we all bring light to the darkest regions in our world.

No comments: