Thursday, October 14, 2021

One Cup


Jesus said, “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. “For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household. “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. “Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.” Matthew 10:34-42


Gracious Creator who covers the earth with streams
you gave us clear, living waters for everyone
yet so many have polluted and control the source
taking freely from you, they keep back you blessing.

You called us to love and care for our neighbors
blessing the small gestures of water and food given
some in our world put a price tag on your free gifts
limiting access and believing it is theirs alone.

You taught your disciples have to be sacrificial
teach us so we can teach our children as well
for the small acts of kindness and respect
can change our whole small island for your good.

Help us today to share one small cup of blessing
give us the strength to protect our natural resources
let us use the gifts you have given us as blessings
for a broken, thirsty and frightened world today. Amen.


No comments: