Monday, October 30, 2023

Family


‘When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it wanders through waterless regions looking for a resting-place, but it finds none. Then it says, “I will return to my house from which I came.” When it comes, it finds it empty, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and brings along seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and live there; and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So will it be also with this evil generation.’ While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, ‘Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you.’ But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, ‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’ And pointing to his disciples, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.’ Matthew 12:43-50

I've often found myself bristling at this passage from Matthew. Jesus seemingly rejects his mother and siblings, choosing his friends instead. For Indigenous people, we put a great importance on family, clan and all our relations. Digging a little deeper though, Jesus in not really rejecting, but rather inviting. Inviting all those who love God and love and serve their neighbor to see themselves as the family of God. Sometimes our blood families can hurt us deeply, and we can still find family in God's love.

Loving Creator, we are planted in family
we are rooted in our people and traditions
all people you claim as part of your clan
we are all your family held in God's loving arms.

Often we forget that love binds us together
we hide behind our histories and lineages
thinking our famous ancestors will save us
while you call us to find family as we serve.

Help us to know ourselves as part of you
branches and limbs of a loving Creator
empowered by your love and compassion
we can be among family as we love others. Amen.

No comments: