Thursday, October 19, 2023

Welcome


‘Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. ‘Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple—truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.’ Matthew 10:34-42

In these days when the whole world watches as the Holy Lands erupt in war and violence, and the death toll mounts to the unimaginable, we hear Jesus say that he does not come to bring peace but a sword. I ache for peace right now and am trouble by these words. Trouble until I read further and understand his audience and the moment. His people and their lands were controlled by cruel occupiers, fierce tyrants who lived by the sword. He sent his disciples out during terribly troubled times and want them to know that their work will make even more discontent and division. Yet, we also hear of God's radical welcome, where even a cup of water are blessed and safe in our Creator. So may our work be welcome in this time of great violence and division, knowing God's peace, our reward, is ever near. Matthew 10:34-42

Great Creator, you welcome all the peoples
you love and cherish all of your creation
aching for us to live with each other as family
seeking a deeper peace that only love brings.

We quickly take sides and build barricades
we forget your radical welcome, shunning others
we think that by might we will win the reward
and yet you tell us again it is only by welcome.

Help us to open our hearts and minds today
give us deep compassion for all the suffering
let us open our arms wide to all strangers
and make welcome our beginning and ending always. Amen.




No comments: