Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Abide in Me


The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’ So Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live for ever.’ He said these things while he was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. John 6:52-59

We are people who are connected to media and entertainment all the time. We think we know someone because of their celebrity and influence. Our present world is often shallow because of this and we find ourselves aching for deeper relationships. Jesus is inviting us to abide in him, not visit for a while, but to become deeply connected, interdependent, and the source of our sustenance. In a world of screens, competition and greed, Jesus invites us to the table of his heart and makes us part of his family always.

Loving Creator, bread of all life
you call us to come and abide 
calling us tenderly to your table
setting a place for every outcast.

We run from this loving intimacy 
thinking independence is what we need
until our isolation tears us to pieces
and we run like children to your open arms.

Help us to seek you in every moment
make us joyful in our interdependence
give us the sustenance we need to serve
and give us patience to abide in you always. Amen.


No comments: