Monday, May 4, 2009

Good Shepherd




“I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me – just as the Father knows me and I know the Father – and I lay down my life for the sheep.” John 10 :14-15

Sheep are not the brightest animals in the kingdom, and yet throughout the gospels Jesus describes his relationship to people as shepherd to sheep. What might seem like a gentle, innocuous profession to some, I have come to realize that being a shepherd is a very courageous life style. It’s not glamorous, rather just the opposite. Sheep are best at wandering and keeping them safe from themselves is a real challenge. Having good, loyal working border collies is a great help. Having a strong back and strong hands is crucial. And getting up in the middle of the night is not uncommon, going out in bitter weather to find one who has wandered out of the pen and been injured. It is not a profession for the easily bored, or for those who aren’t willing to go the distance.

In our Gospel for this Sunday morning in Easter, Jesus tells his followers of his commitment to them, and they get it. Their world was defined by shepherds and they knew the difference between a good and bad shepherd. They knew the crucial role shepherds played in their economy and they understood what it meant to have Jesus as their good shepherd – it means life, good pasture and someone who will go to the ends of the earth, even sacrificing life for the sheep, for all the sheep. A shepherd is not a superhero or a glamorous soldier-warrior type. A shepherd is much more. A shepherd cares for life, for feeding and nurturing, for safety and preventing disease. A shepherd, like a good parent, is watchful and attentive.

Today, I want to understand the Good Shepherd as the disciples did - Jesus as the one who cares for all of us and all our needs and Jesus as the shepherd involved in our daily living. Jesus said he is part of our going out and our coming back. And Jesus says he will bring us safely home. Sometimes, especially in challenged times, we have a hard time trusting God with the completeness of our lives. And yet today, I know I need to do just that – trust him for everything. May we all have the courage to follow the Good Shepherd and be part of his flock. We are loved and known, treasured and care for, even when we are not very bright and acting very foolishly. Jesus has come to care for us all. May we seek his fold and enter with joy this day.

Note: This was written yesterday while I was in Kansas but there were technical difficulties at the retreat center and I was not able to post it. I hope to write again today, so come back, if you are able. Blessings, Carol

No comments: