Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Young Theologians



Years ago, when we were living in Boulder, Colorado, there had been a big turnover in the theater staff where Mark was working. Our best friends had been let go and they were heading back east. I was very young and our daughter Emily was a little over two. I tried to keep my feelings to myself but when we were sitting together, I started to cry a little. I was young and a long way from home and feeling very sorry for myself. My little daughter looked up at me and said, "it's all right Mommy, Jesus is our friend. He's gonna make it all right." And she wiped my tears away. I couldn't help but smile and wonder at the theologian that sat in front of me at that moment.

It is very easy, in times of transition, to be overwhelmed with the anxiety and anticipation of it all. And there is also loss that comes with every transition. But some how, God finds a way to find us in the midst of our sorrow and remind us, often through young ones that it will be all right, because God is with us and we are never alone, even when we feel so very alone.

"‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants.'" Luke 10:22

Today, I want to take each step remembering that God's spirit is revealed to my infant, vulnerable self. That God is with me in every moment and I could miss God's presence by trying to be in charge, proud without humility. Instead, today, I want to admit to my need and rely on the great theologians in my life - the children and my children. They remind me that God doesn't ask me to be right and in control all of the time, but to be honest and open. God asks us only to love and to ask for what we need. May God give us all the strength to receive the spirit as small children - with the eyes of wonder and a heart open to love.

No comments: