Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Branches on the Vine


Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:4-5

You and I we're new here
and rather fragile growing
strong and wiry fruit budding
we have so much to bear.

We seem exposed to fierce winds
brutal unrelenting sun and water
from the sky.

We tremble in the slightest breeze
we are so thin and gangling awkward
our roles so critical our capacity
so limited.

There are many others like us
out here in the vineyard
new branches quivering
aching to be strong
praying we are not alone.

The gardener comes around
rarely inspecting us looking
for weakness for bugs and disease
he shakes his head and walks on
the knife swinging on his belt
a reminder, a promise.

You and I are tender little vines
but we come from some strong stock
we are a small anxious part of
something larger more magnificent
and all together solid and reliable.

We will grow because we can
and are held firm knitted
a strength built on love
tenderly weeded with compassion
and constantly watered
with the river of life.

No comments: