Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Shadow of your Wings


How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the abundance of your house,and you give them drink from the river of your delights. For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light. Psalm 36:7-9

I like being strong and independent. When I am weak or in pain, I sometimes feel like I have failed. Although I enjoy the comfort and support of others, I really want to do things on my own and bristle when people tell me what I should and ought to do. I have plenty of shoulds and oughts for myself, thank you very much. And I also know there are those that can help me and I need to take their advice and lead. I might chomp at the bit, but I will try to follow at times.

The Psalm appointed for today talks about our relationship to God as those who are sheltered under God's wings, like mother swans protect their young. Like any parent across the animal and human kingdom, shelters and protects their offspring. Like any parent, God cares for our protection, our education, our hunger and thirst. How often we forget that before we had human parents, we had a loving Creator who is perfect parent, constant provider, source of all goodness and light? How regularly do we rely on our own merit and skill, forgetting where it came from? And to whom we will return.

Today, I want to fall before the Lord of love asking for a new sense of relationship, a complete trust in the One who is completely love and light. I so often try to do things by myself, and forget to rely on God. Today, I will offer all that I am and rely completely on God. May we all remember today, that, no matter what we face, we are not alone, but sheltered in the shadow of the wings of the Almighty God, the one who began us, completes us and loves us beyond measure.

No comments: