Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fear and Great Joy


So they departed quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. And behold, Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came up and took hold of his feet and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee, and there they will see me.” Matthew 28:8-10

I had the opportunity to walk on the beach yesterday in extraordinary heat - extraordinary for early April anyway. The water is still frigid but the air was warm as we were having record high temperatures across the northeast. It was unbelievable. Almost hard to take since it got warm so quickly. Some people fought it, others got outside and enjoyed it. I was glad to part of the latter group.

The women came early in the morning. We have heard this story repeatedly this week since early Easter morn. The least likely recipients of God's greatest love and miracle - well, there they were. And they got to be the messengers of Good News to the disciples and to the world. They met Jesus as they were fleeing the garden and they had a story to tell. They stopped and worshiped him right there, hugging his feet, crying and rejoicing that God had brought love back to life.

So today, as the heat continues (with an end in sight), I want to rejoice today in God's love in my life and the miracles that are around me. I plan to get out there and enjoy all of it - the sunshine and the rushing blossoms, the birdsong and all the gardening I can imagine to do. May we all rejoice in God's love for us, a love which revives love and laughter in our lives, when we least expect it, but most need it!

No comments: