Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sorrow Turns to Joy



So also you have sorrow now, but I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy from you. In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you. Until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:22-24

Sorrow

Deep a river fast moving sweeping
from one loss to the next
shaking my foundation my voice
quivers with remorse and guilt
there was so much more I should
have done for you so many missed
moments of pleasure and laughter
now lost in your parting.

There is a heavy veil brocade
dense a silence so loud
it muffles my heartbeat suppresses
my breathing I am gasping
for air for you are gone.

The light flickered and was gone
no lingering reads golds and pinks
to soften the exit but a loud
smash landing sun no more.

I tried all sorts of things
but I have lost my taste for
distraction and gossip
I just want to wrap my hand
around your hand and calm
again my heart.

I am waiting for sorrows end
joy like sunlight promised
a weather man's prediction
my usual skeptical reaction
to love and light.

I am aching for joy despite
my sorrow loss an pain
and want to dance on the grass
in the cool hollow of the evening
with the children that you promised
tender care every day.

This waiting is my learning
my heart stretching growing
pulled like old muscle renewed
until the strength returns
will you return and fill the cup
the Chalice and Paten for
a hungry broken world.

Your life was given
my life remade reborn
joy as constant as the sunrise
love renewed again.

No comments: