Thursday, December 31, 2015

Mary Letters - Day 31

Canticle: A Song of True Motherhood
by Julian of Norwich
God chose to be our mother in all things
and so made the foundation of his work,
most humbly and most pure, in the Virgin's womb.
God, the perfect wisdom of all,
arrayed himself in this humble place.
Christ came in our poor flesh
to share a mother's care.
Our mothers bear us for pain and for death;
our true mother, Jesus, bears us for joy and endless life.
Christ carried us within him in love and travail,
until the full time of his passion.
And when all was completed and he had carried us so for joy,
still all this could not satisfy the power of his wonderful love.
All that we owe is redeemed in truly loving God,
for the love of Christ works in us;
Christ is the one whom we love.

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I am so sorry for not writing for a few days. Motherhood is incredibly wonderful and equally, incredibly hard. My body still aches from the birthing and learning to nurse him is a challenge.Some of the women who come by, tell me to feed him when ever he cries, others tell me to put him on a schedule!?! Every one have absolute advice except for Joseph who shakes his head and tells me he has no idea what to do. Big help from him! I try to swaddle and hold him as much as possible, then the ladies come and tell me he needs to be wrapped tight and left in his cradle. I think the straw is too rough for his tender skin and love the feeling of his skin against mine.

We have had several night visits from the shepherds. They love coming to see the baby Jesus. They told us last night that there are rumors from the palace that visitors upset Herod and he is on a tear. It seems that the visitors said something about a child born who would be king and he feels terribly threatened. They can't possibly be talking about this child, since we are tucked away in a cowshed, off the grid, and of no importance. They are probably talking about some royal child who they will use to take his throne. I really don't understand politics and power. I'm just learning to be a mother, and although that sounds simple, I have learned that it is very hard. It is also a round the hours job, there is no real rest, even when the baby is sleeping! I bet you know what that's about!

Sending love from Bethlehem,

Mary

No comments: