Friday, December 18, 2015

Mary Letters - Day 20

Save me, O God, by your name,
   and vindicate me by your might.
Hear my prayer, O God;
   give ear to the words of my mouth.


For the insolent have risen against me,
   the ruthless seek my life;
   they do not set God before them.
     


But surely, God is my helper;
   the Lord is the upholder of my life.
He will repay my enemies for their evil.
   In your faithfulness, put an end to them.


With a freewill-offering I will sacrifice to you;
   I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For he has delivered me from every trouble,
   and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies. Psalm 54


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

as we were traveling yesterday, I thought I recognized the men who were following us on the road. I was terrified and was sure they had come to stone me and kill Joseph. My whole body shook with fear and I could hardly breathe. As they came closer, I started to cry and told Joseph we were going to die. It didn't seem to phase him. When they finally passed us on the road, they were really complete strangers and I felt so terribly foolish. I apologized to Joseph but he started to laugh. When I asked him why, he said my mother had warned him about pregnancy brain. She had said that sometimes women can get very "imaginative", especially in the last months.  He was so kind about the whole thing.

The road ahead is a very steep climb down as we get closer to the city. Joseph says I will have to walk most of the rest of the way until the road flattens out. I am a cumbersome mess right now and I think our little donkey is fed up with me. I am often so uncomfortable that I moved around a good deal and we have to stop often. My bladder is not happy with me either. It complains all the time. I wish I was stronger and braver. Instead I find myself weaker and more weepy by the day.

Sending love across the miles and asking for more payer - if that is possible.

love,

Mary

No comments: