Thursday, December 3, 2015

Mary Letters - Day 5

Jesus said, "Listen to another parable. There was a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a watchtower. Then he leased it to tenants and went to another country. When the harvest time had come, he sent his slaves to the tenants to collect his produce. But the tenants seized his slaves and beat one, killed another, and stoned another. Again he sent other slaves, more than the first; and they treated them in the same way. Finally he sent his son to them, saying, 'They will respect my son.' But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, 'This is the heir; come, let us kill him and get his inheritance.' So they seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him. Now when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?"
They said to him, "He will put those wretches to a miserable death, and lease the vineyard to other tenants who will give him the produce at the harvest time." Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the scriptures: 'The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; this was the Lord's doing, and it is amazing in our eyes'? Therefore I tell you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that produces the fruits of the kingdom. The one who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls."
When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard his parables, they realized that he was speaking about them. They wanted to arrest him, but they feared the crowds, because they regarded him as a prophet. Matthew 21:33-46 

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I am writing from my room now which is where I will have to write from now on. I was outside and it was a beautiful day. I went to pick some ripe grapes for our family table. And old friend approached and we began to talk. I guess I was distracted and did not see the others approach. They tried to take me away, Auntie. I think they wanted to stone me! I cried and screamed. They beat me some but I twisted away. Joseph and Daddy must have heard because they came running. I was so scared, and angry at the same time. Who are they to punish me as I am just following God? But they can't see it that way. They think I am dirty and defiled.

They brought me in to Momma and she cleaned me up. I had cut and bruises everywhere ! I was so afraid for the baby, but the wise women came and felt my belly.They said the baby was just fine and would be back in several days to examine me more thoroughly. My life is a series of invasions it seems. And now I get to stay indoors away from windows like a prisoner, like some lowlife scoundrel. Daddy and Joseph are working out a plan and won't tell me until they work it all out. I am just a girl they say and need to be protected. Humph. I really feel like running away sometimes but I know that Momma would be heartbroken. Daddy and Joseph might just be relieved to have this burdensome "girl" out of the way.

I am sorry to be cranky Auntie. I hurt all over and everyone is treating me like I have a rare disease. Won't anyone try to see God's hand in all of this? Won't they try to bring me some joy in these moments?

God bless you and the babe that is due so very soon. Sending love through these lonely tears,

Mary

No comments: