Sunday, December 6, 2015

Mary Letters - Day 8






In the fifteenth year of the reign of Emperor Tiberius, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was ruler of Galilee, and his brother Philip ruler of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias ruler of Abilene, during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John son of Zechariah in the wilderness. He went into all the region around the Jordan, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins, as it is written in the book of the words of the prophet Isaiah,
"The voice of one crying out in the wilderness:
'Prepare the way of the Lord,
make his paths straight.
Every valley shall be filled,
and every mountain and hill shall be made low,
and the crooked shall be made straight,
and the rough ways made smooth;
and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.'" Luke 3:1-6
 
 
Dear Aunt Elizabeth,
 
I had a dream last night that our babies were grown and doing amazing things. It gave me a sense of peace which I have not had for a while. Things have been hard around here and I have been feeling like a prisoner in my room. The hub bub of preparations for our trip has been overwhelming and I have found myself wondering if this is all right. I thought maybe I was crazy, misguided or just foolish. But the dream replaced some shame and anxiety with a firm sense of faith. We are leaving very soon and there will be no family with me. For that I am very sacred, but the dream helped me realize that there was more at stake then my own needs. Sometimes I can be very selfish.
 
Today, some wise woman came to examine me and to tell me what to prepare for. I was so embarrassed!  I had to let them look closely at my private parts and I think I blushed all over. But they were gentle and gave me some good advice about birth and what is involved. I am still a bit horrified by everything they told me and fear sharing all this with Joseph. They promised to talk with him tonight about what to expect. I wonder if he'll back out when he hears all this?

Auntie, please know we two have been called by God for a sacred purpose. That is what my dream reminded me. So, whatever people say that hurts and stings, remember God is with us, God is standing beside us as we bring and protect these two children for the sake of the world. We will understand it all, by and by, I suppose.

Much love,

Mary
 

Merciful God, who sent your messengers the prophets to preach repentance and prepare the way for our salvation: Give us grace to heed their warnings and forsake our sins, that we may greet with joy the coming of Jesus Christ our Redeemer; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments: