Friday, December 15, 2017

Advent 2 - Mary letter 12


Happy are those
   who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
   or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
   and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
   planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
   and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.


The wicked are not so,
   but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement,
   nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
   but the way of the wicked will perish.


Psalm 1

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I wrote Mama yesterday to tell her we were staying an extra day with cousins Miriam and Amos. They are so very kind to us! When I woke yesterday morning I was very sick and Miriam nursed me as if I was her own child. We wanted to travel today but they wouldn't let us. She wanted to make sure everything was all right so she called for the wise women to come and examine me.

Well, the first time I was examined was pretty embarrassing, but this was over the top!  They had be strip everything off and then proceeded to examine me thoroughly - and I mean thoroughly! They were quite gentle but it still felt like I was completely and utterly exposed. There was a good deal of clucking and aha-ing from them. When it was all over, Miriam made us all tea (the men having found something to do outside!) and we sat as they explained everything to me. It seems as though the baby is coming sooner than we thought! I don't have the heart to tell Mama. I really don't want to have it without her there! This baby may come before we get home, and I must admit I couldn't hold back the tears. I know that God is in the midst of this, but can you tell me why it has to be so complicated and hard?

We will go a few miles tonight, if Miriam allows. Please don't tell Mama and Papa about the new date as it would only worry them more. They have enough on their hearts as it is. I ask for an additional measure of prayers for us and especially for Joseph, who has been so patient and gentle, despite the fact that I am a mess most of the time. I am more and more grateful for him every day.

much love,

Mary

No comments: