Saturday, December 16, 2017

Advent 2 - Mary letter 13

Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,
   whose sin is covered.
Happy are those to whom the
Lord imputes no iniquity,
   and in whose spirit there is no deceit.


While I kept silence, my body wasted away
   through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
   my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.
         

Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
   and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the
Lord’,
   and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
 
Therefore let all who are faithful
   offer prayer to you;
at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters
   shall not reach them.
You are a hiding-place for me;
   you preserve me from trouble;
   you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.
          
I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;
   I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
   whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle,
   else it will not stay near you.


Many are the torments of the wicked,
   but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the
Lord.
Be glad in the
Lord and rejoice, O righteous,
   and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.
  Psalm 32


Dear Mama,

Joseph and I got the message from Papa. We promise to be very careful, so please don't worry about me so much. It is remarkable that people are so angry with us that they would follow us and try to do us harm. They must have seen Joseph and I went we went to the local market for some fresh fruit! We have been well cared for along the way, and all the friends and relatives we have visited with have been very, very kind. We only go a little way each night and I ride on the burro when I can. Tonight we will be traveling over some rocks and hills, so Joseph has decreased our trip to just a few miles before we rest for the night.

Last night, here at Miriam and Amos' home, we thought we would start our journey again, but we got Papa's note and Amos insisted we stay another night while the men figured out a new route. As they were pouring over maps and discussing the many routes we could take, I went out into their garden. The moon was bright and it felt like it was shining brighter for us. Like the Lord was reminding us of the constancy and presence of God's love. We are never alone nor abandoned. Yet, in this world there are people who refuse to see God in their midst. This little one, who is kicking so fiercely even now making it hard to write, is God incarnate in the world.  He is hidden within for a time, but it won't be too long now before he is revealed. I pray that people will be kinder then.

Mama, I love you and Papa so much. I know all of this has been so hard and troubling for you and you have been punished and mistreated by the community. Thank you for loving me despite the grave consequences you have endured. Thank you for helping me be a vessel for the living God.

love always,

Mary

No comments: