Thursday, December 21, 2017

Advent 3 - Mary letter 18

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff— they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long. Psalm 23

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

We could see the lights of the Holy city as we walked last night. Our journey is nearing it's end. Well, at least the walking and traveling part of this journey.  I feel like  the baby will be coming very soon. He isn't moving as much as before and seems to be ever closer to my knees than my chest. I had started to walk in a waddle, like a drunken duck or a silly bird. Joseph is patient and amazed with all of these changes in me. He is not horrified or worried it seems. He has proven over and over again to be the calm, steady force in the confusing and discombobulated world. I am grateful daily for his constancy.

We stayed overnight in the hills with another cousin. His name is Joseph too, a bachelor shepherd who lives in a small dwelling to be near his sheep. He spends most nights out watching the herd, and gave us a comfortable place to rest for the night. He was very awkward around me though. Obviously, he really didn't know how to feel about our story. He heard from the relatives about our promises from God, but hearing and understanding are two very different things. He is shy but kind, and gave us delicious food this morning. My Joseph is out helping his cousin with the sheep, as they have to carry the water a great distance for the sheep.  He is happy to have chores like that to do, I am sure. Hanging out, day in and day out, with an emotional pregnant lady must not be fun. I don't even find myself fun these days!

I will be setting out some supper for them in a while. We found some fresh fruit as we were walking, so that will be a great addition to our meal. I can only eat a little at a time, and yet I seem to be hungry all the time!

much love,

Mary

No comments: