Monday, December 18, 2017

Advent 3 - Mary letter 15



To the leader. A Psalm of David.
Happy are those who consider the poor; the
Lord delivers them in the day of trouble.
The
Lord protects them and keeps them alive; they are called happy in the land.
   You do not give them up to the will of their enemies.
The
Lord sustains them on their sickbed; in their illness you heal all their infirmities.

As for me, I said, ‘O 
Lord, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you.’
My enemies wonder in malice
   when I will die, and my name perish.
And when they come to see me, they utter empty words,
   while their hearts gather mischief; when they go out, they tell it abroad.
All who hate me whisper together about me; they imagine the worst for me.


They think that a deadly thing has fastened on me, that I will not rise again from where I lie.
Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted, who ate of my bread, has lifted the heel against me.
But you, O 
Lord, be gracious to me, and raise me up, that I may repay them.

By this I know that you are pleased with me; because my enemy has not triumphed over me.
But you have upheld me because of my integrity, and set me in your presence for ever.


Blessed be the
Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.Amen and Amen. Psalm 41

Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I have written to Mama and Papa these past few days, telling them how good the trip is going. I have been very careful as to what I say so as not to upset them. I think I can confide in you, though. This has been a very hard trip indeed. Traveling after dark, hiding from those who would follow us and harm us, living like refuges off the kindness of others has proven very hard for us. There is no where we feel safe and we sleep very little. The baby seems to be anxious and nervous too, moving around and kicking me so much! I am so glad he is vigorous and I am so exhausted!

I don't think Joseph understands me and why I am fearful of being away from home and family. He is accustomed to being on his own but I am not. I have to stop frequently when we are traveling to relieve myself, and that seems to irritate him so much. He doesn't know what to do if I start crying - and it happens quite often these days - so he walks away and busies himself. He is a good man and very gentle but sometimes he is clueless and then I feel so all alone. I stood out in the night air last night, praying for our safety and that I can continue to be strong, although I feel like I will fall apart at any minute. I try to remember the promises of the angel, and that does renew my strength.

love always,

Mary

No comments: