Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Christmas - Mary letter 24


O sing to the Lord a new song,
   for he has done marvelous things.
His right hand and his holy arm
   have gained him victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;
   he has revealed his vindication in the sight of the nations.
He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel.
All the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.


Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre, with the lyre and the sound of melody.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.


Let the sea roar, and all that fills it; the world and those who live in it.
Let the floods clap their hands; let the hills sing together for joy
at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness, and the peoples with equity. Psalm 98


Dear Aunt Elizabeth,

I am feeling stronger every day, but the wise women feel I should try to be safe and stay here with the baby for the next while. They want to protect me! They have no idea what we have been through and Who brought us this far, but I keep quiet knowing they would think me a lunatic for telling them my story. They have been extraordinarily kind, bringing soups to strengthen me, washing the baby's soiled linens and generally fussing over us like they were my mother. I miss Mama terribly but have plenty of local substitutes. They also boss me around just like Mama does!

We are visited by the shepherds now on a regular basis.  They are still in shock and awe of the angels' message, and want to make sure that we are real. They bring milk and cheese every time they come. We are overwhelmed with good food! The innkeeper brings us fresh fruit and has asked Joseph to do small jobs to pay our keep. That makes Joseph very happy and keeps us safe and sound for now. I try to walk around this cavernous space, but there are times when the animals wander in and we have large, loud company. The dear woman of the house keeps cleaning up around us. I know she does it so she can see and play with the baby, and I for one am glad for her attentiveness.

I myself can't help but look with wonder at this marvelous child. Perfect in every thing! Tiny toes and fingers, sweet lips and gorgeous eyes! I know all mothers feel this way about their babies, but oh, I can't help but kiss him and snuggle close at every possible moment!

Sending love from this humble and glorious place!

Mary


No comments: