Sunday, April 25, 2010

Among the Flock


"My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one." John 10:26-30

Today is considered Good Shepherd Sunday. The lessons focus on the image of Christ as Good Shepherd, one who tends the flock and cares for all the sheep, even the wandering ones. And I wonder what it means to be counted among the flock. Real live shepherds across this planet, care for their sheep, carefully and tenderly. They sheer them in spring and make sure there is good pasture and adequate shelter in every season. And yet their lives re short, these sheep and the provide food in the end for many. So what is it really mean to be numbered among the flock?

I think being one among the flock, means trusting in a way we are not used to, and following, not leading like we are trained. Americans are in charge of our destiny and balk at the idea of being led. And yet every loving relationship, every dance worth doing, requires a leader and a follower, a trust that binds us together so we can thrive. Jesus invites us to follow, not blindly or without question, but with a level of trust. A yes to be held in the hand of God.

Today, I want to be numbered among the flock. To trust that I am sheltered in the hand of God, and covered in the arms of love. Trust is easy to say but hard to do. For today, anyway, I want to trust that my life is secure in God's hands and that I need to follow where Christ leads. May we all follow today, knowing we are secure in the loving hands of him who died for all us.

No comments: