Saturday, November 21, 2020

Humbled and Exalted


Jesus also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 18:9-14 

Humbled and Exalted

Wise and loving Creator
you have placed us here
together to lean on each other
together we can carry on.

Some would take everything
while others would share
the arrogant have the stage
the humble have your heart.

Sickness and death are rising
we have been asked to care
to take responsibility for neighbors
to be humble enough to stay home.

Let us live for others these days
putting the safety of others first
let us love well by being set aside 
help us to be servants in everything. Amen.





No comments: