Monday, November 30, 2020

Mary Letter - Day 3


He began to tell the people this parable: ‘A man planted a vineyard, and leased it to tenants, and went to another country for a long time. When the season came, he sent a slave to the tenants in order that they might give him his share of the produce of the vineyard; but the tenants beat him and sent him away empty-handed. Next he sent another slave; that one also they beat and insulted and sent away empty-handed. And he sent yet a third; this one also they wounded and threw out. Then the owner of the vineyard said, “What shall I do? I will send my beloved son; perhaps they will respect him.” But when the tenants saw him, they discussed it among themselves and said, “This is the heir; let us kill him so that the inheritance may be ours.” So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. What then will the owner of the vineyard do to them? He will come and destroy those tenants and give the vineyard to others.’ When they heard this, they said, ‘Heaven forbid!’ But he looked at them and said, ‘What then does this text mean:“ The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone”?* Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces; and it will crush anyone on whom it falls.’ Luke 20:9-18

Dear Elizabeth,

I have some good news. Papa had been planning for days to have a serious talk with Joseph, and of course, I was to be left out of it. Joseph has been stopping by briefly to talk with me in the garden but he has been reluctant to talk with Papa. I was sure he was going to dismiss me, which he has every reason to. I have worried so much about being thrown out of this home and having no where to go. Mama had said I am bringing shame on my family. But today, Joseph knocked on the door and asked for Papa. We women were sent to the kitchen and they talked for a long time. I was a wreck. After a long time,  and after Joseph had left, Papa came into the kitchen and told us a remarkable story. Joseph was really struggling to figure out what to do and was on the verge of sending me away. But then he had a dream, which was so real, he could not refuse. An angel visited him and confirmed this was holy. So we are to be married! Mama and Papa are so excited!

I felt for so many days like an outcast and now, well, I am an important member of the family again. I felt like I was crazy for so long and now, since Joseph has promised to marry me, everything is forgiven.  I am going to bed tonight, for the first time, knowing I will sleep well, finally. And I have learned that prayers and faith do make a difference. Something good will come of all of this, if I can just be patient and trust our God. I am so relieved and am very tired. So, to bed I go with a smile on my face, finally.

Much love,

Mary


No comments: