Wednesday, November 2, 2022

All Souls 2022


At that very time there were some present who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. He asked them, “Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were worse sinners than all other Galileans? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish as they did. Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower of Siloam fell on them—do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others living in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all perish just as they did.” Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and found none. So he said to the gardener, ‘See here! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree, and still I find none. Cut it down! Why should it be wasting the soil?’ He replied, ‘Sir, let it alone for one more year, until I dig around it and put manure on it. If it bears fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’” Luke 13:1-9 

We are all given another year to produce fruit, another year to repent and return to the Lord. Today we remember all those who have finished their race and are at rest. We remain on earth, working our gardens and laboring to produce the fruits of love and compassion. Too often, I walk away from something when it doesn't work, or doesn't work for me. Yet those who came before me, didn't let obstacles, displacement and trauma, keep them from finding solutions and loving others. Our ancestors gave it their all. I ask God to help me give love and service my all.

Blessed Creator, who knows our hearts
our fear of failure and our great worries
you remind us today to keep faithful
tending our gardens and praying for fruit.

The world would have us dispose
of anything that was not useful
yet you call us to be ever faithful
as there are many who need love.

Help us not to be fearful and anxious
instead fill us with your hope
shower us with your love to share
so that the whole world might be renewed. Amen.

No comments: