Monday, November 21, 2022

Let the Little Children Come to me


People were bringing even infants to Jesus that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they sternly ordered them not to do it. But Jesus called for them and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.” A certain ruler asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother.'” He replied, “I have kept all these since my youth.” When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “There is still one thing lacking. Sell all that you own and distribute the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me.” But when he heard this, he became sad; for he was very rich. Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for those who have wealth to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.” Those who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” He replied, “What is impossible for mortals is possible for God.” Then Peter said, “Look, we have left our homes and followed you.” And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not get back very much more in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.” Luke 18:15-30

I heard from my daughter Ariel, who lives in Pennsylvania, that her son Silas was angry with me. When she asked why, he told her I hadn't come to see him. We arranged for a facetime call while I was still in ICU, so I could tell him how much I missed him and would come to see him as soon as I am able. He carried the phone around the house so that all of his siblings could talk to me. Love always seeks out love, and we ache when love is missing, no matter what form it might be in. Jesus understood the needs of the parents and the little ones, they were seeking out love and blessing. May we all admit to our need for love and embody love for those who need it.

Loving Creator, you made us in your image
vessels of love and compassion despite our frailties
you blessed the little ones that came to you
and call us all to draw near in your love.

The world is too full of violence and hate
we are often angry when we are wounded
we lash out at the people who are wounded too
yet you bring love enough for everyone.

Help us to never hold back on loving
let us be kindness in this cruel world
may our lives be dedicated to turning hate
into more capacity for loving compassion. Amen.


No comments: